Place Details

Mission Santa Inés

1760 Mission Dr
Solvang,  CA 93463

Phone: (805) 688-4815



Mission Santa Inés is a Spanish mission in the present-day city of Solvang, California, and named after St. Agnes of Rome. Founded on September 17, 1804 by Father Estévan Tapís of the Franciscan order, the mission site was chosen as a midway point between Mission Santa Barbara and Mission La Purísima Concepción, and was designed to relieve overcrowding at those two missions and to serve the Indians living east of the Coast Range.The mission was home to the first learning institution in Alta California and today serves as a museum as well as a parish church of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.HistoryMost of the original church was destroyed on December 21, 1812 in an earthquake centered near Santa Barbara that damaged or destroyed most of California's missions. The quake also severely damaged other mission buildings, but the complex was not abandoned. A new church, constructed with 5to walls and great pine beams brought from nearby Figueroa Mountain, was dedicated on July 4, 1817.A water-powered grist mill was built in 1819, about half a mile from the church. In 1821, a fulling mill was added, designed by newly arrived American immigrant Joseph John Chapman.

Show Map

Business Info


Parking: Parking Lot

Categories: Mission


Report a Problem

Past Events

Tweets from Santa Barbara
twitter